Dr. Daniel Carrera
- Head of Genomics Research
Dr. Carrera conducted research at the prestigious ETH, Zürich where he completed his PhD in Plant Biochemistry. Following this, he worked at the Global Crop Protection division of BASF, Germany.
At Puregene he leads the laboratory unit for trait discovery and accelerated breeding. As an experienced Molecular Biologist and Biochemist, he focuses primarily on quantifying traits and identifying their associated genetic regions (resistance, novel cannabinoid and terpene profiles, etc.), allowing them to be integrated into the elite varieties developed at Puregene AG.
To achieve these outcomes, Dr. Carrera works closely with the analytical scientists, cell biologists, chemists, bioinformatician and breeders, to advance the field of cannabis metabolism and physiology.
Previous positions held by Dr. Carrera include:
- 2010 – 2013: MSc Thesis at the Centre for Agricultural Research, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- 2013-2017: PhD in Plant Biochemistry at the ETH working on primary carbohydrate metabolism
- 2018: Postdoctoral in Molecular Plant Breeding at the ETH
- 2018-2019: Research Scientist in herbicide research at the Global Crop Protection of BASF
- From 2019: Research Scientist/Head of Genomics Research at Puregene